When you get a factory order car, you have to wait for the car to be built. Cars are made across the globe, and you’re probably wondering where is my car made?
We understand this curiosity, and feel it’s important that you know as much about the car you are getting as possible.
We’ve been supplying every brand since 1997, and therefore we wanted to put together an article to share our knowledge with you and help you learn about our complex yet exciting industry.
Where is my car made?
There is no one answer to this. It is not even the case that each brand has just the one factory. In fact, cars under one brand can be made thousands of miles away from each other.
So, let’s go through where some of these cars are built…
Where are Mercedes made?
- A Class
- B Class
- E Class Saloon
- CLS Coupe and Shooting Brake
- C Class Saloon, Estate, Coupe and Cabriolet
- SL Class
So, where are the others made?
- The CLA Coupe and Shooting Brake are built in Hungary
- A Mercedes G Class is made in Austria
- The V Class is made in Spain
- The C Class Saloon is built in South Africa
- Both the GLE SUV and the GLS are built in the USA
- The Smart Forfour is built in Slovenia
- And the Smart Fortwo in France
Where are Jaguars made?
Where are Lexus cars made?
Where are BMWs made?
Where are Ford cars made?
Ford have had factories pretty much everywhere. From Thailand to Wales, China to Basildon. Unfortunately, the Basildon factory was sold in 1991. But the point is, Ford cars are made pretty much everywhere. Some places include;
- Ford Focus, Fiesta and Everest
- Ford Mondeo
- Michigan, United States
- The Ford Mustang
- The EcoSport
- Valencia, Spain
- The Ford Galaxy
Where are Nissan cars made?
Nissan build their cars all over the world, from India to the UK.
The Note, Leaf, Juke and Qashqai are built in the UK. The Micra, however, is made in India. The X-Trail, 370z and GTR are built in Japan.
Nissan also build their cars in Spain. The following cars are built in Spain;
And, the NV400 is built in France.
Where do Vauxhall make their cars?
One of their most popular cars, the Vauxhall Astra is built at Ellesmere Port here in the United Kingdom. However, other Vauxhalls are built across the globe. For example;
- The Vectra is made in Germany, though some were produced at Ellesmere Port and were previously produced in Luton
- The Corsa is made in both Germany and Spain
- Vauxhalls Insignia is also produced in Germany
- The factory in Germany also produces the Vauxhall Zafira
Where are Volkswagen cars made?
Volkswagen utilises factories all around the world. However, they build their best sellers in their German factories. These include the Golf, Passat and Tuareg. The others? Well…
- 3dr Polos are built in either Portugal or South America
- The Sirocco is built in Portugal
- Jetta’s are built in Mexico
- This is because America are the biggest buyers of Jetta.
- UP!s are built in Bratislava (the capital of Slovakia)
- 5dr Polos are made in South Africa
Where do Fiat make their cars?
The classic Italian brand actually have factories all over the world. The Fiat Panda is built in Italy, as is the Fiat Punto. The Fiat Spider, on the other hand, is produced in Hiroshima, Japan. Fiat also have a range of cars for the Brazilian market, where many of those cars are made.
The extremely popular Fiat 500 is built in Toluca, Mexico in Chrysler’s assembly plant. However, the Fiat 500L was built in Serbia.
Where do Kia make their cars?
Many of Kia’s cars are built in South Korea. However, they also have factories in Vietnam, Slovakia, China and the United States.
The Kia Sorento is produced in Georgia, USA, whereas the Kia Sportage is produced in South Korea.
Where do Toyota build their cars?
There are sixteen Toyota factories in Japan, with thirteen of those located around Toyota City. But they also have factories in Mexico, Thailand, Turkey and here in the UK.
- The Yaris Hatchback is created in France and Thailand
- The Camry is also produced in Thailand
- Both Toyota Avensis and Auris are produced in Derbyshire, UK.
Where are Peugeots built?
- The 2008 is produced in Brazil
- The 208 is also manufactured in Slovakia
Where are Seat’s made?
SEAT have the ability and the infrastructure to develop its own cars in their country of origin. This is interesting because they are the only major Spanish car manufacturer to be able to do this.
Seat make 90% of their cars in Barcelona. The only exception is the Seat Mii, which is built in Poland.
Where are Mini’s built?
How long does it take to build a car?
Factories work on week by week allocations. So when the factory accepts the order, they will provide an expected build week.
In some cases, the car can be built by the Tuesday of that week! In other cases, it may be the end of the week. Unless there are issues with parts or factory delays, the car will be built by the end of the week. If there are problems with parts or there are factory delays, then this will be known and the car will not go into build.
How long does a car take to be delivered?
We understand why this question is important. Lead times are one of the priority factors for deciding on a new car.
If you are working with a reputable supplier who works closely with the manufacturer, they will know the lead times. They can then give you an estimated lead time for the vehicle. It’s important to note that the lead time can change. And, the lead time does not take into consideration the time spent on paperwork, driver availability or delivery.
It’s really important that you speak to your supplier and understand the realistic time frame for your vehicle. They can be so vastly different it’s difficult to specify. When you start considering your options, ask your supplier for realistic time frames and what could affect this.
So, as you can see, cars are made across the globe. Manufacturers have factories far and wide, and hopefully this has given you an understanding of where your car is being built.
Request a call back from one of our Vehicle Experts
Latest posts by Andrew Kirkley (see all)
- Should I use a Car Broker? - 14th August 2018
- What are hydrogen fuel cars? Are they are real possibility? - 22nd January 2018
- Six secrets to know when renting a car - 19th January 2018