Who’s It For?
The Volkswagen e-Up! is the all-electric version of the cute, compact and cheerful VW Up! city car. It’s retained its standard sibling’s keen sense of fun and smart styling, but adds a far quieter cabin and much cheaper running costs. It makes perfect sense of city dwellers who want to do their bit for the environment while having some fun.
Prices start out from £25,640, and the car has an official range of 99 miles.[vc_single_image image=”67311″ img_size=”article-image”]Electric Motor & Handling
On the road, the Volkswagen e-Up! is a lot like the conventional Up! – nimble and fast off the mark.
It actually feels even quicker off the mark, thanks to the fact that its electric motor develops all of its power in an instant.
The Volkswagen e-Up! is 200kg heavier than the standard model, but it still coasts from 0-62 in 12.4 seconds and always feels lively in the city.
Its electric motor develops 81bhp, which is more than enough to make city car driving a cinch. Due to its burst of pace, the e-Up! is able to accelerate from traffic, junctions and roundabouts with ease.
Unlike the standard model, the e-Up! comes with regenerative braking, which is designed to limit driver fatigue and extend range. Most of the time, you’ll be able to drive using just the accelerator pedal, with the brake pedal only needed when you halt suddenly.
The system comes with 5 driving modes – D, D1, D2, D3, and B. Select any of the latter 3 settings and the car operates the brake lights whenever you accelerate. The Cabin
The e-Up! is well-kitted out, but with the exception of a battery capacity to readout, it’s a lot like the standard model inside.
- Quality – The e-Up! benefits from Volkswagen’s excellent reputation for build quality. Fit and finish is good and the cabin looks snug and presentable.
- Comfort – The suspension setup does a great job of smoothing out the road and ride quality is good. A supportive and adjustable driver’s seat helps you get as comfy as possible, and the steering wheel adjusts up and down.
- Insulation – Insulation is excellent. On the road, you might “feel” the car as it moves through the wind but there are barely any external disturbances.
- Space and Practicality – The Volkswagen e-Up! is the same size as the standard model. Neither model is super practical but four people will be comfortable enough on shorter journeys.
- Load Capacity – Despite having to find room for the batteries, its boot measures the same 251-litres and can extend to 951-litres when you fold the rear seats.
- The e-Up! emits zero emissions like all electric cars, and has a BiK rating of just 9%, which is the lowest there is.
- It’s ideal for company car users, but its secondhand values are poor.
- There’s no monthly battery lease cost involved, and the e-Up! is exempt from the London Congestion Charge.
- The car has a claimed range of 99 miles. This is dependent on the conditions; in colder weather, range will drop off faster.
- Buyers can charge the e-Up! from home for roughly £2.