However, we all also know that that isn’t quite true. We do make mistakes and sometimes, we aren’t the best drivers.
But is there any way to know if you are actually a good driver?
In this article, we look at the signs you are a good driver, and the signs that mean you are actually a bad driver.
How to tell if you are a good driver
Aside from abiding by the rules, there are other ways to tell if you are a good driver. So we are going to look at the ways you can tell if you are a good driver;
You move over after passing
If you move into the left lane to pass and then move back again, the chances are you are a good driver.
You know the speed limit
Sometimes the speed limit for a road isn’t always clear. However, a good driver will always know what the speed limit is regardless of whether it is obvious or not. Not only does this mean that they are attentive but they also care about their safety and the safety of others. Not to mention they are abiding by the law.
You are focused on the road
Using your mobile phone when driving comes with significant penalties as of this year. So good drivers are ones that do not use their mobile phones. But good drivers are also those that are not distracted by Sat-Navs, radios or other music devices such as choosing a song on your iPod. Good drivers aren’t distracted and stay focused on the road at all times.
You take regular breaks
If you are on a long journey, a good driver will know when to take breaks. You should take a break every two hours, yet one in 20 admit that they don’t take breaks at all. This is extremely risky as it can seriously affect your concentration. It also makes you more prone to nodding off at the wheel, which one in 10 of us have done.
A good driver knows when to take breaks, and knows when they are losing focus.
You know your vehicle
Good drivers know what their car is and isn’t capable of. They know whether they will be able to overtake that car or how hard they have to step on the brakes to stop in time. If you know your vehicle well, and know what it can and can’t do then the chances are you’re a pretty good driver.
You have the right attitude when it comes to driving
Attitude is key when it comes to driving. You can be highly skilled, but if you approach driving with the wrong attitude then you won’t come across as a very good driver. If you are calm and tolerant in all situations and are confident, but not overly confident, then you come across as a very good driver.
Good drivers approach driving with a positive attitude and rarely lose their temper.
You exercise skill at all times
Just like you should know your vehicle, a good driver knows their abilities too. To be a good driver you need to recognise potential dangers and react accordingly. A good driver is vigilant and proactive.
So there are some of the ways you can tell if you are a good driver. A good driver is focused, does not get distracted, knows their vehicle and they are proactive in their driving.
How to tell if you’re a bad driver
Okay, so we know how to tell if you’re a good driver, but what about if you’re a bad driver?
Here are some of the ways you can tell if you are a bad driver (or one of your friends);
- You drive too close to the car in front of you
- A surefire way to make you look like a terrible driver and irritate the person in front of you
- You don’t indicate
- We don’t need to tell you why this is a sign of a bad driver
- You get distracted
- Constantly changing radio stations or songs on your iPod shows that you aren’t fully focused on the road like a good driver should be
- You break the speed limit
- Okay, so there are quite a few of us who probably break the speed limit from time to time, but constantly speeding or completely ignoring speed limits is the sign of an irresponsible and bad driver.
- You don’t share the road
- Everyone who is on the road has a right to be there. That includes cyclists and horse riders. A bad driver will disregard them or make their lives difficult when on the road. Not only is this dangerous, it’s not a nice thing to do. Good drivers acknowledge that they aren’t the only ones on the road.
- You are over-confident
- Being an over-confident driver can put you and other drivers at risk. Overestimating what your car is capable of or what you as a driver are capable of can cause accidents and is dangerous and irresponsible.
Hopefully this has given you a bit of a lighthearted look as to whether you are a good driver or not. A good driver is focused, exercises precaution but is also a proactive driver. They also know the extent of what their car can and can’t do. A bad driver, on the other hand, is overly confident, doesn’t abide by the law and gets distracted easily. They also succumb to road rage or don’t share the road with the likes of cyclists or horse riders. Of course, these aren’t the only qualities that make someone a good or bad driver, but they are a pretty good indication of their driving skill. That said, we all have bad days and we all slip up from time to time, so next time you see someone making a mistake remember that they might just be having a bad day, and aren’t actually a bad driver.
Latest posts by Holly Martin (see all)
- Is Mercedes-Benz reliable? An impartial look at the luxury brand’s reliability - 27th September 2018
- A list of the best electric vans available in the UK - 4th September 2018
- Should you lease your next car? - 30th July 2018