Many of you might not know that you can also get a used car through OSV and it’s an option that many people do take up.
However, getting a used car through OSV is slightly different than getting a brand new car through OSV.
So in this article, we are going to go through getting a used car through OSV including the service we provide and what to look for when looking at getting a used car.
How to get a used car through OSV
I have already found a used car, can OSV help?
If you have already found a used car that you want, then you might be wondering whether we can be of any help. The answer is, of course we can! If you have found a vehicle you want at a used car dealership, then we can most definitely help you.
Firstly, we can offer you the best finance rates on the market. This is because the dealership will only have access to one finance house. OSV, on the other hand, have access to 23 different funders. We will compare prices and find you the best finance deal for you and your used car.
We will also carry out background checks on the dealer themselves. This is to make sure that they have good financials. We’re sure they have, but this is purely to eliminate the risk for you. We don’t want you being caught out and we want to make sure that everything is as low-risk as possible for you.
We also provide our own warranty. This might be cheaper than the one you are being offered, if you are being offered one at all. Our warranty also guarantees that you are getting a warranty from someone trustworthy and reputable.
What vehicles can OSV source?
If you have yet to find a used car that you like, then don’t worry. You can come to us and we will source you any make or model anywhere in the UK.
We have a wide network of second-hand car dealers across the country, and if it’s not in our network but we can see a good deal then we can also arrange it for you. By doing this we will also do a background check on the company to ensure that they are legitimate and then try and get you that deal.
There are a few exceptions, however. To ensure things are as risk-free as possible for you, we will only look at cars that are 4 years old or younger and do not have more than 60,000 miles on the clock. This is purely to eliminate the risk that comes with getting an older car.
When you get a used car through OSV, regardless of whether you have found it yourself or we find it for you, we will do our own background check on the vehicle. While we’re sure the used dealership has done the same checks, we like to carry out our own checks as well. This includes looking to make sure there is no outstanding finance on the vehicle and it has not been in any accidents.
What are the pros and cons of getting a used car through OSV?
Now we’re going to look at some of the pros and cons of getting a used car through OSV. Some of the advantages include;
- We act as a safety net in case anything goes wrong
- This includes if the car is faulty or you need documents that you have not yet had access to
- We will ensure that you have everything you need and will provide you with all the documentation you may need.
- We provide an unbiased opinion and advice
- We are a broker, not a dealer, therefore, we can offer you unbiased advice and give you our honest opinion about certain cars or certain deals. We will always try and find the best deal for you and the best vehicle for your situation
- You may find that dealerships push you into something you may not be sure about, but we will never do that.
- We will always get you the best deal and the best vehicle for you
- We have a great reputation (if we may say so ourselves), and we are not going to risk that reputation by giving you a car that is not appropriate for your needs.
- We provide our own warranty
- We also put the vehicle through a safety check before it is delivered to you to make sure it’s in the best condition it can be for a used car
- We carry out our own checks and double check everything
- This includes double checking everything on our end as well as the documentation provided by the used car dealership. We make sure everything is airtight and that you are getting exactly what you asked for.
However, there is a disadvantage;
- You can’t test drive the car
- We have access to a wide range of dealerships across the UK. While this is a good thing in the sense that it gives you a lot of choice, it does mean that you can’t test drive the car.
- Say you are based where we are, in Worthing, and we find you a perfect car with the perfect deal in Newcastle. You are not going to want to drive all the way to Newcastle nor will we expect you to.
- However, we will send you photos and give you an accurate description of the vehicle.
What finance options do I have when getting a used car?
There are many ways in which you can finance your used car.
This is the most popular way of getting a used car and is simply where you buy the vehicle outright.
Another option is a bank loan. You can get a bank loan and then use that money to buy a car outright.
Personal Contract Purchase
With a Personal Contract Purchase, you have your used car for a set period of time and at the end of the contract you have three options;
- Part-exchange the car
- You will need to clear off the final payment but any profit you can keep
- Buy the car for a pre-agreed value
- This is the Guaranteed Future Value and is set at the beginning of the contract
- Hand the car back
- Subject to condition and mileage
We work with funders that offer PCP agreements on used vehicles. The funders themselves can be quite lenient, but at OSV we are all about reducing the risks involved which is why we have a strict policy on the used cars we do and do not sell.
This is another very common way of getting a used car. You pay a monthly fee for a set period of time and when the agreement has ended, you own the vehicle with nothing more to pay.
Can I get a used car on a Contract Hire?
It is very rare to be able to lease a used car. This is because there are restrictions by both HMRC and lease companies that put a limit on how old the car can be at the beginning of the contract. The rule is normally less than three months old and that has done less than 3000 miles on the clock.
In certain circumstances you can lease a used car. But it is very rare. The only way this can be possible if, since registered, the vehicle has maintained its VAT qualifying status. So, for example, cars that have stayed in the motor trade such as demo or daily rental cars. As we said, this is hugely rare.
Therefore, the chances are you cannot lease a used car. It is often cheaper to lease a new car anyway, and you can read more about Contract Hire here.
In conclusion, you can get a used car through OSV. This is a great way of getting a used car and ensures that you eliminate any risks through our background checks on both the car and the used car dealership the vehicle is coming from. We also provide our own warranty and give your car a thorough safety check before it is delivered to you. The only disadvantage is that you can’t test drive the vehicle. But we will send you photos and give you a thorough description of the vehicle you are buying / leasing. If you have any questions then please do not hesitate to contact us.
You could be driving away with your vehicle in no time. Fill in your details below and one of our vehicle experts will be in touch within one working day to talk cars.